Friday, September 13, 2013

Zucchini Pickles

I was overjoyed this week when we received bunch of small zucchini.  Right away my husband asked me to make him some zucchini pickles.
 

First I sliced all the onions and zucchini. 
Saraina let me use her mandolin and I totally fell in love with it.  It only took me a few minutes to slice all the veggies perfectly.


Because my husband loves zucchini pickles so much, I just make
 a big jar and put it in the fridge instead of canning and processing several smaller, individual jars. After the zucchini pickles are eaten then I will use the leftover juice in the jar to make a batch of pickled eggs. 


For the pickle brine I used 2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. mustard seeds, 1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard and 1 tsp. turmeric. 
(I actually tripled the recipe to make enough brine for the jar.) 
 Bring the brine to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer.


 
My husband was so excited to come home and see that I had made these today he wanted to dig right in and start eating but it's best if they sit in the fridge for a day or two so they can develop their flavor.  I still have a little zucchini left so this weekend I'll also make some zucchini bread, and some fried zucchini cakes and maybe try out a new zucchini recipe or two.  Definitely going to be a zucchini weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment