Sunday, January 15, 2017

Ignorant, Indifferent, or Inquity

 
Today is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day but because it's so cold out we decided to make Strawberry Smoothies instead.  For the recipe I used 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of strawberry yogurt, 3 tablespoons sugar, 8 strawberries and 6 ice cubes.  I made several batches about a half hour before people started showing up, put them in cups and then put the cups in freezer.  I then was able to pull them out of the freezer and give them out as people walked in the door. 

 
They turned out so yummy and everyone loved them and thought they were a great way to start out the morning! 
 
In my studies the last few days I have been running across verses such as Joel 2:12 ...Turn to me with all your heart....  So many verses about turning to, serving and following God with ALL our heart.  God wants not just part of our heart but all of it.  Tonight, right before church started and I was greeting people, something happened that made me feel very unloving and it showed in my words and actions.  As I sat in my seat I was telling myself that God wanted me to show unconditional love and understanding but I explained to God and gave Him excuses why I didn't have to in this instance.

 
The last song we sang before the sermon was Trust and Obey and instantly God smote my heart.  I was not obeying Him in the way I knew he wanted me to.  Each verse spoke to me and I was feeling convicted as per my words and actions not measuring up with what God had been showing me in His Word.

 
As the last song ended I looked at my phone to make sure the nursery worker hadn't text me saying she needed help.  She hadn't text me but when I looked at my screen saver, God smote my heart again.  I had made a new screen saver last night because my goal is to always ask God this question, Lord, how can I glorify you today?  Again I knew that my words, thoughts and actions did not glorify God.
 
As the sermon started I knew God was not finished rebuking me as I was convicted within moments of the first words of the sermon.  My husband preached tonight on being ignorant of the Word, indifferent of the Word, and how our iniquity stops us from doing the Word.  How we need to perfect what we are learning in church and perfect what we are reading in our Bibles.  Point after point hit me in the heart as I remembered how last night I had prayed and asked God to help me to give all my heart to Him by obeying, serving and doing His will in my life.   I realized I only want to follow and obey when it agrees with what I'm feeling and not when something upsets me or makes me uncomfortable.  I had tears streaming down my face as I realized I had let my God down once again and I needed to change my thoughts and attitude to align with His Word and what God was trying to do me in.  After praying and asking for forgiveness, I was able to be more loving in the situation and correct the my words and actions.
 
Lamentations 3:22-23 - It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
 
I am so thankful for God's mercy as I fail and have to overcome my sinful nature over and over.  He forgives me and gives me a new chance every day to ask, Lord, How can I bring you glory today?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment