Friday, September 21, 2012

Banana Jam

There is nothing better than a peanut butter and banana jam sandwich.  
So when I was asked to donate to a bake sale this weekend,
I automatically thought of banana jam.
 
 
First I smashed up 4 cups of banana's and added 6 1/2 cups of sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice and brought it to a boil.  Actually I doubled the recipe, something I will never do again without a bigger pot.  When the jam started boiling it start overflowing and we could not stop it!  Saraina and I were laughing our heads off as jam went everywhere.  As we were trying to get everything under control again, Saraina spilt jam down her and onto the floor.  As she rushed to wash it off her toes Mason came in and stepped in the pile of hot jam.  Luckily no one was hurt
 and it was so funny but such a mess!
 
After it was boiling we added the pectin and boiled it the required time and then poured it into our prepared jars.
 

 
After a water bath we managed to make 12 jars of banana jam for the bake sale and of course I put a couple of jars away for ourselves!
 
We also made my mom's yummy peanut butter popcorn. 
 I used the canner and filled it with popcorn.
 

For the popcorn I mixed 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 cup maple syrup
and 4 Tablespoons butter.  After boiling it to soft ball stage I added 1/2 cup peanut butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla and then poured it over the popcorn and mixed it well.  It is so good!
 
 
First thing this morning the guys put up the first roof rafter.

 

Before they left for the day, all the roof beams were on and the frames for the doors were finished.  It is amazing to watch it go up so fast!
 

Of course, what would my day have been without a little shopping! 
One of our Sunday School teachers asked if we could get her a dry erase board for her room and we were thrilled when we found these big dry erase boards for $2.48.  I had a dollar off coupon too, so we paid $1.48 for each board.  All in all I spent about fifteen dollars for 3 dry erase boards, 5 pkgs of dry erase pens, 2 reams of construction paper, 2 things of Post-It notes, 3 binders and 12 boxes of Kleenex. 
Praise God for letting us find such great clearance deals
 to stock the church with!


No comments:

Post a Comment