Saturday, September 14, 2013

Crock Pot Orange Marmalade

We were given several bags of oranges this week and since I have a few favorite recipes that call for orange marmalade,  I decided to make some.   As I was looking for recipes I came across one that was made in the crock pot. 

If you know anything about me, it is that almost everything I cook is in the crock pot as it is so easy and much less mess!  Because it said that it could be left overnight I started it last night at about 8 o'clock.


First I took four large oranges and quartered them, peeled them and removed any seeds.


I cut the pulp into pieces and put them in the crockpot. 
(Next time I do this recipe I will actually put them through the food processor.)


I then sliced the rinds into thin ribbons. 
(I found out later that I should have cut them thinner!)


I then added 4 cups of sugar, 4 cups of water and some lemon juice.


I stirred it all together and cooked on High for 2 hours. 


After 2 hours I stirred the mixture, turned it on Low and headed to bed.


When I got up at 5:30 it looked like this.  It tasted wonderful but did not look like marmalade.  I separated the orange pieces out and put them in the blender and also took all the orange peel and sliced them thinner.


After blending and slicing it looked much better.  I then took the lid off the crockpot and let it cook for a couple more hours on Low so it could reduce and become the right consistency.


The recipe made 6 beautiful pints which I'll tuck away in the pantry to use this winter in Orange Chicken and Orange Marmalade cake.  Yummy!








1 comment:

  1. Mine has just passed the 2 hours on high. It seems very watery. Will it reduce after the lid is off near the end? Also, did you water bath process then do they are shelf stable?

    ReplyDelete